LOUISVILLE, Ky. -- The site where the first Louisville Slugger was made is recognized by the state.
The state historic marker is on the lot on First Street between Main and Market is the location of J.F. Hillerich's carpentry shop where the first Louisville Slugger was produced in 1884.
The bat came into existence after Hillerich's son Bud offered to make a bat to replace one Pete Browning broke in a game for the Louisville Eclipse.
The carpentry shop closed in 1901 and the Hillerich and Bradsby Company has been in several locations before ending up in their current factory at 8th and Main.
The monument is the 2,499th placed around the state by the Kentucky Historical Society.